Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Middle of the Week Blahs

Here it is Wednesday, and the dilemma is how to better use time today rather than waste it.

Maybe today is a good advice day.

When someone is getting ready for retirement, a LOT of attention should be given on how to spend the days.  People inevitably say, "Relax."  That's fine, but for how long?  We aren't programmed as human beings to relax for long spans of time -- or at least I can't.

Starting about 10 years before my retirement date, I started honing some hobbies.  There's art, music, writing and crafting.  The University lets employees take one continuing education course per semester for free.  It's a great benefit, and first I took art.  My teacher was Judith Meyer, an amazing woman.  A number of us became friends with her and with each other through the class, and remain so to this day.  Judith moved to Silver City, New Mexico.   Go all the way to the bottom of the blog, and you will find a picture of Judith. 

Art work is fine but due to a car accident years ago, my neck is not very forgiving.  Looking down for a while starts a chain of events beginning with a dull headache and progressing to real discomfort and pain.  So the canvas or whatever has to be positioned to diminish the strain on my neck.  Later in the day, one of those microwave heating pads does wonders for my neck.  I recommend them highly.

As far as crafting, I'd already crocheted but I picked it up again in earnest and started truly enjoying it.  Crocheting and television go together
During those last so many years at UA, I also took writing courses.  The first teacher was a retired science prof at UA who wrote poetry.  His hard work paid off and he was published.  He ended up taking a job as a visiting professor down south someplace.  His pick for a replacement was Rob Levandoski.  Rob had already published one book at that time, I believe, "Going to Chicago."  He was working on, "Serendipity Green," a hilarious book about life in a small town.  Hmmmm.  Sounds familiar.  The town is Medina, by the way, in case you read it and start guessing.  That one was published, and then he was working on, "Fresh Eggs," a book about the egg industry but with a good human interest story to boot. 

All of his books are good; they are just different.  They reflect his sense of humor.  Four years ago, I got an email from one of my former co-workers at UA -- Dr. Doug.  He told me that he'd seen an obituary for Rob Levandoski in the Beacon Journal and he actually remembered that Rob had been my teacher.  Dr. Doug is a very special friend!!  I might not have seen it.  So I drove to Medina for the calling hours and met his wife for the first time.  She writes for the Beacon Journal.  Rob died from a cerebral aneurysm and went very fast.  He was 59 and really beginning to peak as a writer.  He had a mystery series, "Morgue Mama," that was starting to catch on, attributed to one C. R. Corwin. 

Today's blog is dedicated to Rob and to Judith.  I'm so proud to have been able to call both a friend. 


No comments: