Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Breast Cancer

My gynecologist told me when I saw her some months ago that breast cancer is SO common now.  She thinks it is a combination of a lot of different factors, and she discounts the old buffer of not having any breast cancer in the family.  "It doesn't matter," she said.

Yesterday I went in for a mammogram and met some nice women in the process.  It was at Akron General's main hospital, and they have a kind of assembly line there.  A row of chairs, doors leading to machines, and a changing area with lockers.  Somewhere right in the middle of the breast center is a fireplace that yesterday looked very, very appealing.

One woman I met makes cone cakes at home and was preparing them for a wedding today.  She has a three-year-old boy and a two-month-old girl.  Everything should be really good for her right now, but she is worried and you can see it on her face.  She said she hadn't slept for three weeks waiting for her appointment yesterday, that on top of having a tiny baby in the house.  We didn't go into particulars, but it's obvious that there is concern.

When I finished and was walking down the hall to change, I saw her again and asked her if everything was okay.  She said they were "sending her to someone else."  That "someone else" may have been a cancer surgeon, but I'm not sure.  And again, she looked worried.  I told her I would pray for her, and she thanked me for that.

So, my friends, please join with me in praying for this woman.  God knows who she is and your prayers will reach the ears of an all-knowing, all-seeing God who has numbered the hairs on our heads.  Our prayers together might help give this woman some peace -- so that at this beautiful time in her life with little ones, a husband, and a career (she's on maternity leave), she can fully appreciate it.  We all know how that is -- when something scary comes along, we develop tunnel vision and that's all we can think about, while all sorts of life events are passing us right by.

You are going to think I'm absolutely crazy, but I just know in my heart that being at Akron General, at that moment, at that very time was the reason for my visit and not the mammogram I thought I was there for.  It was such a strong feeling that it lasted all the way home in the car, all evening long while I crocheted a baby blanket for Akron Pregnancy Center, and this morning again as the day is just beginning.  It felt like a mission, not like a heavy yoke around my neck, but more like a strong desire to help.  And something more -- that God would listen for my prayers and would help this young lady.

May God shine his mercy and healing on this woman, give her peace, and allow her to care for her family for many, many years to come.  May any trace of cancer in her body go away.  And since she was open to my praying for her, let her find her way to the Lord of all.

Oh, Lord, we need you so much!

No comments: