Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Life's Trials

I just got done reading the Community Pregnancy Center's newsletter for this month.  Apparently, they may be able to move to a place more able to handle their needs, and an announcement will come along soon.  This is wonderful news!

The Community Pregnancy Center location where I've visited is in Barberton; it's an older home modified to be an office and distribution setting. 

The newsletter shows the many ways that citizens are helping this cause.  They have a special evening fundraiser once a year and there were more than 40 baskets with gifts and goodies for bidding.  Many large and small companies donated to the event as well, from individuals who sell Tastefully Simple and Thirty One products, to doctors and landscapers.  They had a night at the movies recently and requested donations of diapers for admission.  The response was amazing!!

The people who walk in the doors of Community Pregnancy Center are often teetering on the brink of a decision -- whether or not to continue the pregnancy.  These women are often scared, needy, and desperate and they need someone to talk to.  Sometimes it is only a phone call between an abortion or no abortion.  One phone call -- one person on the other end who is compassionate and loving and has only minutes to make sense of confusion and chaos for the woman in need.

Not only are mothers and babies helped by this wonderful service, but also siblings and families.  The Center gathers together food items, baby furniture, clothing, and other forms of assistance as varied as the clients they serve. 

There are SO MANY ways to give.  A gift of cash is certainly a wonderful way to help.  Or call them and ask for what they really need.  There is a niche for every person to fill. 

Here's what I do - and compared to so many it isn't much.  I love to crochet baby blankets.  The "Pound of Love" baby yarn makes a perfectly sized blanket, and there are gorgeous pastel colors to choose from.  Once I have a number of them finished with ends buried, it's time to make a trip to Barberton.  On the way there, I start my CD player and say a Rosary so that each blanket is coming along with the prayers I've said for that baby, that mother.  They are baby prayer blankets and they are delivered with love!!

While I crochet it isn't hard to imagine a child swathed in the blanket as it begins to take shape and size.  I've told my husband that one of these days, I'm going to out and about somewhere and I'll spot one of the blankets.  I'd know them anywhere.

The Center uses the hand-crocheted baby blankets from me and many, many others to create personalized layettes for the clients.  The layette includes clothing, diapers, and a car seat for starters.  The worth of the layette is more than $300, I'm told.

There are so many worthy charities to help; I realize that.  But if you find it in your heart to donate to Akron Pregnancy Services, I am sure that they will make the most of your gift in reaching out to women who really need help.  Thanks for reading! 

Pass it on!! 



No comments: