Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Old Sheets

My husband has this habit that when he sleeps, he runs his toes over the sheet.  Sometimes it makes so much noise that I wake up and have to think for a moment as to what it is.  The first times it happened, I blamed the cats.

I'm pretty sure that he does this thing with the sheets, kind of like dogs and cats do, because he is dreaming that he's running.  Har-har-har. 

The end result is shredding and a useless bottom sheet while the top sheet is still perfectly good.  I've patched them with cotton from something else and it holds for a while.  I've used fabric interfacing and ironed it on the holes on both sides, and that fared the worst of all of the patches.

So this morning I have two king-size bottom sheets that cannot be patched again and need to be disposed of.  And that's where the dilemma comes.  I've made up my mind already, but I'll share some of what I considered first.

First, I considered pitching them altogether.  Out of sight; out of mind.  Guilt consumed me.
Next, I considered making something with the fabric.  Really?
Finally, I decided to take a fabric scissors to them and make them into nice cotton rags.  People pay a lot of money for cotton rags that come in those boxes with the holes in the front for easy grabbing.  We have a couple of them in fact.  So I'll cut up the sheets and fill the boxes, and give some away to family members.  What a lovely Easter gift!

People say we are a throw-away society and to some extent, we are.  But it's interesting to see how the people who went through the depression deal with older items and how younger people do.  My husband knows someone who has a broken printer.  He's been dithering about it for a couple of months.  The truth is, as we all know, that printers are cheap; toner is expensive.  The truth is, it is usually cheaper to pitch the printer and start over again.  But the friend is a depression-era kind of guy and he found someone who can fix it -- or so he says.  Meanwhile, for two months, he's complained about not having a printer. 

If it were not for the "older folks", Pawn Stars wouldn't have anything to buy or sell in a lot of cases.

People are kind of like the sheets that were shredded.  Without God in our lives, we go about without purpose and with our sins unforgiven.  We blow with every wind that comes along.  With God, we are completely renewed.

Our Lenten quote today:

"I shall spend every moment loving. One who loves does not notice her trials; or perhaps more accurately, she is able to love them."  St. Bernadette of Lourdes

Tomorrow I will tell you about amazing St. Bernadette who died at the age of 35.

No comments: