Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Snowy, Snowy, Icy, Icy

The evolution of the weather yesterday certainly was strange.  The last chapter, the one with the freezing rain, sure did a number on the driveway but my husband did one last plowing/salting before it changed over.  So all we needed today was to spread more safety salt.

My car is kind of like an off-white ice cube so we are waiting until we can get it down the hill and into the garage for a well deserved thawing.

The Super Bowl on Sunday evening was interesting for a couple of reasons:

  • My favorite part -- the ads -- was disappointing.  The ads were as someone said "somber" and actually kind of depressing at times.  If ads reflect the overall society's take on things today, then it means that we are collectively down in the dumps.  I'm surprised that advertisers didn't do more with children, God's natural funny people.  I'm surprised that the winning ad only cost $2,000 to make, a great slap in the face to the millions that some companies invest.  I'm surprised that companies didn't take a page from the Great Depression and try to build us up, bring us some fleeting happiness, like the golden age of Hollywood did.
  • The last couple of minutes of play was interesting.  The Pat rookie who managed to grab the pass from Seattle with them threatening on the one-yard-line can take his place in the 49 year history of the Super Bowl.  He was probably completely unaware before the game that he might have such a moment.  The Pats' fans were jubilant, and now we get to hear about Deflate-gate without the Super Bowl in the offing.  Wonder what comes out of it?
  • The Budweiser ad with the dog was heartening.  That's the mood I was looking for, I guess.  So in a previous bullet point I said that someone should have used kids, but animals are a great second choice for something to tug on the heart strings. 
  • My husband struggles with Roman numerals, so no matter how many times I tried to explain it to him, he didn't get it.  Wonder where he was when they went over that stuff in school?  Of course, his dyslexia probably goes into overdrive with Roman numerals.  So the 49 in Roman numerals, XLIX, is an elusive thing for many.  Next year it will be easy -- L.  Won't that look odd on the jerseys?  Bet they go with 50 instead.
  • Finally, I'll comment briefly on the halftime show.  I'm not much of a Katy Perry fan but I will give it to her for having the guts to ride on top of that amazing looking lion, and also for standing on the tiny platform hovering a couple of stories over the floor of the stadium.  The music as a whole was boring for me.  When has there been a Super Bowl halftime show that really wowed the crowd?  I can't remember.  It sure wasn't Janet Jackson.
So that's about it for today -- Tuesday -- and I'm going to my son's house to help him out for a little bit and then may return in the afternoon if needed.

Stay warm.  Tuesday is supposed to be snow-free so it would be a good day to get to the grocery store or the gas station before we get some more of the white stuff.

No comments: