Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Doctoring

Hello friends.  I'm a little late getting this blog going this morning because I had a doctor's appointment.  No big deal, just the usual visit for prescriptions and a "howdy do." 

Over the years, many doctors have helped me through life's little problems.  I salute them.  They showed patience, a sense of humor, knowledge, and a willingness to listen.  Dr. Kelly, a surgeon, was certainly one of them.  This guy was a special practitioner.  He has gone on to his heavenly reward now, but he was highly respected in Akron at City Hospital (now Summa).  Dr. Kelly did my surgery for Crohn's Disease in 1986. 

At one point while doing the rounds at the hospital, he spoke to me about how I was kind of like an old horse.  Yep.   Honestly.  The resident who accompanied him just about fell off the chair because he could not fathom this kind of bedside manner.  But it was effective, and I treasured Dr. Kelly.  His expertise made me physically whole again and he probably did the same for countless patients over the course of his career.  The psychological and spiritual wholeness was another recovery that took a lot more time. 

One little aggravation in the hospital was the tea.  Their tea did not taste like my tea at home, and I really missed it.  So my husband dutifully brought me some tea bags from home.  Guess what?  It wasn't the tea!!  Maybe some of you have had that same experience from the anesthesia or medication or whatever.  Things just don't taste right for a while.

Maybe tomorrow I'll tell you about my roommate, Barbara, and some of the other things that happened at the hospital.  I was there for TWO WEEKS.  Nobody stays for two weeks after surgery anymore, even if they go home with a pole and an IV line still attached. 

Blogging must be good for a body.  Dr. Rucki is very, very pleased with me today.  And I'm pleased to be able to write this to you, friends.  Enjoy some sunshine today.





No comments: