Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tapped Out

Did you ever just feel tapped out?  Well, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to write the blog post at the end of a long and tiring Monday so all I'd have to do is hit "publish" in the morning.  But I am really tapped out.

Long but rewarding day.  Lousy night's sleep Sunday night.  Struggling wtih the time change and allergies!!

Today was the day to pick up the candle order at my granddaughter's school.  The boxes were too large to send home with the kids.  So we went over to Warstler School in Plain Township right around 11:45 (we being me and my oldest son, Mark).  We planned it that way so we could surprise Ella by having lunch with her.  Warstler has a policy where parents and family are always welcome to come at lunch time.  All the children enjoy the visitors.

When we arrived, Ella was sitting at her desk busily working on her iPad and was completely unaware of our presence.  One of those precious moments when you get to see someone you love so very much in a situation you've never seen her in before.  She had her legs crossed ladylike and her hands looked so grownup as she pressed this button and that.  Then she saw us and her face lit up like one of those home security lights.

Her classmates wondered if we would eat with them and we said, "Sure."  They clapped and cheered.  Here are some of the hightlights of this really fun visit:

One boy asked if we were "Ella's family."  He asked if I was a grandmother, and noted that the "Mom's mom" works with his class at school (Grandma Sue volunteers).  They served bananas for lunch.  One boy used the banana like a phone and put it to his ear.  My son borrowed it and began having a conversation.  The kids were mesmerized.  "No, I haven't seen any monkeys.  Sure, I'll let you know if I see any."  We were welcomed warmly by these children in a school where so often there seem to be no strangers.  It is heartening, truly.

Everyone seems to know Ella and appreciate her.  She seems to know everyone too.  The boy with the banana phone offered Ella a Tater Tot and she gladly enjoyed it.  Her classmates seem to look out for her in a natural and loving way.

Now I truly know what is special about Special Education.

Many people have prayed for Ella since her diagnosis of epilepsy nearly eight and a half years ago.  People we know and many we don't joined in.  She continues to progress, her seizures are under good control, and she has a sweetness that to me is the result of all of those prayers. 

And I'm still tapped out, but by the time this is posted tomorrow, it will be a new day.  A new day to work as though I am working for the Lord.

No comments: