Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Bones Tell Stories

There is an article on the fox.com website this morning about two infant skeletons found in Alaska.  The bones were well preserved and the infants were buried with darts, another weapon, and salmon.  They are native American bones, but they will do further DNA testing on the bones to verify all of that.

There was care taken in the burying of these children.  One of them was stillborn, the other died at around three months, and they were both buried in the summer. 

So isn't it absolutely amazing what stories the bones can tell?  I think it is fascinating.

How would they know, for example, that the child was stillborn?  It might have something to do with the skull but I am only guessing. 

The scientists are particularly excited about this find because these are the oldest remains they have found of infants.  They were buried more than 11,000 years ago.

-----

On another subject, when I was a kid we celebrated Armistice Day.  That was changed to Veterans Day to honor all vets, not just those who fought in the WWI.  I thought that there were a lot of really good programs on yesterday to honor our vets, and news shows mentioned them.  There seems to be much more of a sense of appreciation for our vets than ever before, or at least possibly since WWII.  That would be my take on it anyhow.  And that is a good thing.

A guy from the American Legion was on radio on Monday talking about the role they play in aiding our servicemen.  The vets of the American Legion make it their business to find the families of men currently serving and make sure that they are doing all right.

One troubling statistic, however, is that there is a growing number of homeless among American women who served their country.  Is this another example of untreated PTSD or what?  I didn't get a very good explanation.

So today promises to be a good one -- a nice, brisk walk this morning with a friend.  Then get something done around here.  I have a jeans dress that I bought and really like but it is just that much too long.  I have to find a way to hem it without destroying the thing.  And I've spent some time trying to figure out what I'm going to do, but there is no good answer.  I'll give it a try today and see what happens.  I know what I SHOULD do and that would be to take it over to Karen's Sewing in Canal Fulton and have her do something, but with the holidays coming and everything, I just don't want to spend the money.  I'll update you on this exciting project ... excuse the lack of enthusiasm in my typewriter voice.

So take care, all of the blog friends!!  Stay warm.

No comments: