Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Old Song, New Twist

Yesterday afternoon, I picked up Ella (my granddaughter) at the Hoover Vikings Stadium where her camp bus returns the kids each day.  Lauren (my other granddaughter) came along with me so her dad could fix his truck. 

While we sat there waiting for the bus, an old historic car came down the road a time or two, and Lauren loved it.  She was also curious about the swimming pool just across the street; it looked very inviting.

Once the bus arrived, the cousins hugged and off we went toward Ella's house.  So what do you do when you're driving in a car and have nothing to do?  First you tickle each other.  Then you play hand clapping games.  And well, apparently, you sing "The Wheels on the Bus."

It was going great, sung with gusto, and we'd already been through: the wheels go round and round; the wipers go swish, swish swish; the driver on the bus says move on back; the baby on the bus says waah, waah, waah; the kids on the bus go up and down.  So at this point Ella started borrowing ideas from Old MacDonald.

We had pigs on the bus, a horse, birds, sheep, a cat, and a dog.  And it was hilarious!!  Lauren was laughing so hard, and Ella was just having herself a ball.  It made the ride go by quickly, other than I went one street too far and had to backtrack a little.  Ella said, "Oh, Grandma."  Exactly.

There are moments with your kids or grandchildren that you would just love to capture on video forever.  But as it stands, it will just have to reside in my heart's memory where I can conjure it up and enjoy.  I just wish the rest of the family could have heard it.

With our cosmopolitan world, so many grandmothers don't have the wonderful opportunity to spend time with their grandchildren on a regular basis.  Visits become a whirlwind of activities and commotion, and don't resemble too closely the average days that come and go.  I am blessed to have this chance and enjoy it to the hilt.

On the way to meet the camp bus, Lauren asked me, "Grandma, have you ever seen someone sinning?"  I said that I have -- such as cursing or being mean.  Thankfully, I've never witnessed a murder before, but I've watched people hating each other.

"Well, there's this boy at church and he sins every single time he comes," she explained. 

"What does he do?" I asked.

"This one time he tried to cut my hair with REAL scissors," she told me.  I think that does sound rather sinful, not to mention dangerous.  As she went further with her description, this boy might actually have a problem!!  I hope they can help the little imp.

I mentioned that most of us sin every single day, but that Jesus can forgive us.  She said, "We're just not Jesus," she said in a perfect explanation. 

The wheels on the bus do indeed go round and round, and so my car wheels.  It was time to go home and have dinner.  Lauren was having "movie night" with her mom and dad, and Ella was going to get some dinner with her mom.  Dad took Drew to work with him.  So bless us one and bless us all!!

No comments: