Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Friday, July 12, 2013

The Hype

For some reason summer never lives up to the hype that we get on TV ads or the hype that's in my mind.  And I always get the feeling that something was left on the table by the time school starts again.  Maybe I'm not alone in this.

So what's the problem?  I don't know is the problem.  One of my issues is that I am not good at relaxing.  From nearly 30 years of working full-time and then rushing home to see my family along with cooking and cleaning, working is what I tend to do.  So maybe the problem is that I don't know how to play, don't know how to just sit.  And with ADD, sitting isn't something that comes easy.

First, I blamed the fact that we don't have any shade out on the deck.  It's really hot out there especially when the sun is out.  So we got out the umbrella table and umbrella and a couple of patio chairs.  Sat out there one day and fell asleep and thought to myself -- I can do that inside just as well. 

There is a small garden out front that I can tend quite easily, and so I do that.  Trim the boxwoods, do a little weeding, chop off the sage plants that are getting really shaggy by this time of year, pick up some debris.  OK, so now what?  Back to the patio chairs and the umbrella table? 

How about read a book outside?  Sure, that might work for a while.  Maybe I'll try that tomorrow.  It's supposed to be nice and I have a book from the library that should be an attention grabber -- The Boys in the Boat.  I'll let you know how that works out on Tuesday. 

From an article in Martha Stewart Living, I learned that when we craft, it changes out brain chemistry.  While we are crocheting or quilting or doing artwork, whatever, the brain is so engaged in that effort that the stress chemicals don't have a chance.  And the work itself floods us with good brain chemicals that make us feel better.  The article mentioned a lady who had a really terrible day going for her.  Everything that morning had gone wrong and she was so upset that when she arrived home she grabbed her yarn and started working on a project.  Before very long, her whole demeanor changed and she was like a different person -- calm and settled.  Her case isn't isolated.  Even the texture of the yarn has a soothing effect.

So here is my solemn promise to my loyal blog readers.  I WILL NOT end this summer feeling like I left something on the table, and I WILL get to the bottom of my inability to enjoy myself out in my own yard!!!  How's that?  I have a goal now, and because I've shared it with you, it has to be dealt with.

St. Paul talks about the race that we run in life.  A continuous race to a finish line -- toward God.  He eloquently explains that everything we do needs to keep us in that race and heading toward that goal so that in the end God might be able to say to us, "Well done, good and faithful servant." 

I think that maybe the book I should take out on the deck is a little more important than The Boys in the Boat.  It's time for me to spend some time reading God's Word.  And where better than out in the beautiful world that He created.  Maybe then my summer will have been fulfilled and when the cold winds start, it will feel complete.

No comments: