Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Friday, June 27, 2014

Another Friday

Here we go -- another Friday.  The weeks of summer seem to just fly by and in some respects I've enjoyed this one more than most.  The weather yesterday was lovely and pleasant and my husband painted the garage doors.  Wonderful!!

Been fighting a UTI.  This one kind of came out of nowhere and there were probably some signs that it was on the way, but I wasn't paying enough attention, but I'm thinking that it's on the mend now.  That ad where the woman carries around her bladder just kills me.  "Again?" she yells at it.  Yep, I know that feeling although I don't have the condition she is talking about.  Today should be a much better day all around.

The weather Saturday is supposed to be REALLY hot -- like close to 90 and my granddaughter's belated pool party is that day.  I'm not swimming nor are the other adults so far as I know.  My husband is not swimming, therefore I'm pretty sure we'll hang out in the garage.  There's a nice breeze through it and it's shady.  We can pull up some chairs and survive the heat.  I'll just be happy for good weather so the kids can do what they do best -- have fun.  They got a replacement blow-up water (after the other one blew up) slide for the event and that should be a big hit. 

In the Better Homes and Gardens this month is a neat pool toy.  It's a foam saddle, notched out for the legs.  You just sit on it in the water and sink down a ways and balance yourself.  Great for playing water games like catch or basketball, water polo.  It's about $33 which is a little pricey but it should last for a long time and should work for larger kids through adults.  Walmart has them, in case you are wondering.  I like it because it keeps you in the water rather than floating on top of it like the pool chairs do, and because you don't have to blow it up.  The device comes in a variety of colors.

I was thinking today about a precious part of us that we don't appreciate enough -- sense of humor.  It gets us through so many things.  There's a show on HBO (which we don't get anymore) that is about a nurse.  When we visited my sister in the intensive care unit at Fairview Hospital, there was one of those dry erase boards with room for the registered nurse on duty at the time.  Her name -- Nurse Jackie.  I thought it was hilarious but of course, it would seem I was the only one at the time.  They say that one of the last things to go is your hearing.  It ought to be the sense of humor. 

When I was in the hospital years ago, a number of funny things happened and I still remember a lot of it.  There was one episode that was so funny, my diaphragm started to hurt from a long session of laughing, and the resident doctor on duty couldn't stop laughing herself.  That doesn't happen too often!!

The doctor who did such a good job for me in surgery had a sense of humor.  He came in one morning doing his post-surgical rounds with his resident in tow.  He started telling me about my condition and compared me to a horse.  I started laughing and looked at the resident -- he was losing it.  Bedside manner?  Oh, he had one all right but it wasn't typical by a long shot, but to me it was just right.  Maybe someone rather thin-skinned wouldn't have taken it well, but he didn't bother me at all.  I live in Canal Fulton -- farm country.

So -- time to sign off on this Friday.  See you tomorrow morning!!





No comments: