Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Anna's Story - Part 36

(The reunion committee meeting went well.  It's fun to connect with people you've known for so long, and somehow nothing changes.)


Part 36

 

Sunday was one of those weather days that one wishes they could grab off the shelf at least once a week.  The smell of spring was in the air and the daffodils were reaching higher and higher out of the ground. 

 

Anna wasn’t sure what John had in mind for after church so she dressed a little more casually than usual.  She sat in the usual pew and said hello to some of the regulars as they came in.  It was getting close to Mass and still no John.   After what they’d been through so recently with John’s fall, Anna was getting very worried.  Half way through Mass she was even more concerned and she found herself distracted and not paying much attention through parts of it.  After Communion, she went back to the pew but she stayed only for the first verse of the song and ducked out the side door.  Once she got back to her car, where she had left her purse and cell phone, she looked to see if there were any messages.

 

There was a message and she fumbled on the phone to make it play.

 

“Anna, I’m so sorry.  Katie woke up during the night throwing up.  I thought maybe the first time it was just a fluke but she’s thrown up twice since then.  I hope you get this message.  If you do, call me right away,” John said in a soft disappointed sounding voice.

 

Anna called John.  He answered on the first ring.

 

“Anna, I’m sorry.  I tried calling you but you must have left your purse in the car.  I tried to call about ten minutes before Mass started,” he explained.

 

“It’s okay.  Is Katie all right?” Anna asked.

 

“I think so.  Must have the flu.  People keep telling me that the first so many years are pretty much like this with colds and stuff.  She’s settled down now and sleeping on the couch where I can keep an eye on her.  And I had to change the bedding and wash everything too,” John said.

 

“Do you want me to come over and help?” Anna asked.

 

“If you do, I’m afraid you’ll get it and you have to start at the Center tomorrow.  That wouldn’t be a very good way to do it.  You stay put and when it’s the right time in God’s time, we’ll have another date,” he said.

 

“That’s a good way to think about it – in God’s time.  Well, thanks for calling and I’ll see you soon.  I’ll call later to ask about Katie, okay?” Anna said.

 

“Sure, please do,” John answered.  “I’ll be here all day.”

 

Anna went home and she knew that John was so disappointed that it almost made hers go away.  She got some work done for the Center and then made herself some soup, even though it was nice outside.  She changed into some jeans and a top and put on a light jacket, then went for a long, long walk.  By the time she got home, the best part of the day was gone and she was good and tired.  She called John, and he said Katie was resting well and had not vomited since the morning.  He had been watching TV and dozing he said.

 

The quiet day gave Anna a chance to think about the open house, the Center, and especially John.  The image of his face was with her all the time.  She found herself wondering what he was doing at different points in each day.  Sometimes she dreamed about him.  Her life was beginning to be more and more an Anna-John life. 

 

John called Anna on Monday while she was at the center.  He told her that his business was really doing great especially since the publicity about the Center had gotten out.  He told her to be sure and get a copy of the local paper because the article about the Center’s open house was in it. 

 

Anna went to the corner store for a paper.  On the front page was a great picture of the Center with people coming and going, and kids with balloons.  On the inside page where the story continued, Anna saw a terrific picture of John smiling and pointing to an area of the Center.  Her heart skipped. 

 

The publicity about the Center apparently reached many households, because in the afternoon, when the kids had already started to arrive, Jeremy showed up unannounced.  Mrs. Ferguson didn’t know him and had no idea that Anna didn’t want to see him, so she sent him back to Anna’s small office.

 

He stood in the doorway looking rather smug.

 

“Wow, you got yourself a new job,” Jeremy said.  “This place is really something.”

 

“Yes, it is.  A big commitment on the part of the five churches.  This is the first day we are open for business, Jeremy.  I’m really busy,” Anna said.

 

“I’m sure you are,” Jeremy said.  “You don’t answer my phone calls though.”

 

“Look, I’m sure that we aren’t right for each other, Jeremy.  You need to try and move past what was,” Anna said.  “I don’t want to be rude, but I’ve really got to get back to work.”

 

“So you’re sure about this?  We were together eight years, Anna.  Eight long years.  That didn’t mean anything to you?” Jeremy said.

 

“Jeremy, it was you who left, remember?  But after you left, I realized that what we had before you left wasn’t very good.  You must remember that part of it,” Anna said.

 

Anna heard voices coming down the hall.  As the voices got closer, she knew it was Mrs. Ferguson and John.

 

John came in the office.  “Hi, Anna,” he said jovially.  He looked over at Jeremy and held out his hand.  “Hello, I’m John Peters.”

 

Jeremy shook hands with John.  There was an awkward silence that lasted for what seemed like minutes, but it was really only seconds.

 

“Jeremy, I’m with John now.  I hope you can understand?” Anna said.

 

“What?  You live together?” Jeremy asked.

 

John answered this time.  “Oh, you are Jeremy.  No, we don’t live together.  But we are definitely together,” John said with emphasis. 

 

Jeremy turned towards the door.  He glanced back and said simply, “Goodbye, Anna.”

 

Anna slumped in her chair.  John sat down in the guest chair in the room.

 

“Are you okay, honey?” he asked.  “Was he bothering you?”  John had never used the word 'honey' before.

 

“I’m all right.  He’s been calling for a long time now and I never answer the phone.  He must have seen the article in the paper and knew right where to find me during the day.  I think maybe today is the last time he’ll bother, or so I can hope,” Anna said.

 

“What I said, that we’re together.  I meant that, but saying you’re my ‘girlfriend’ just sounds so hokey,” John said.

 

Anna laughed.  “Just don’t call me your ‘lady friend’ please.  That’s over the top.”

 

“Well, I’m going to head home.  Had a shorter day today and so I thought I’d stop by and see how the first day here was going,” John said.

 

“It’s gone great.  We’re signing up a lot of kids.  Some of the people who couldn’t make the open house are coming today, even some grandparents.  It’s been nice,” Anna said.

 

Anna stood up to walk John to the door and he gave her a big hug.

 

“Hang in there with me, Anna.  You won’t regret it,” he said.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: