Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Thursday Break (and then I forgot to post it)

We're taking a break from Anna's Story today.  I just hope you aren't sick of it, and wish I would just quit!!  We don't have too many more episodes to go, I promise. 

Lately, I've been thinking about how important it is for us to be genuine.  Some might call it honest.  To be the person we are and not someone we have to work hard in pretending to be.  Back in the day when I was working, one of my sons came to work one day for a little while.  He hadn't really seen me there all that often, and later that day he said, "I like you better when you are at work."

The stresses of getting home from work and making supper, the stress of trying to keep a house organized and clean, the stress of older children going here and there including broken cars and laundry, and other stresses that were just part of the life that I led back then had started to change me at home -- the one place where you should be able to be yourself but also be welcoming and nurturing.  The one place where you should be able to relax.  His honest comment got me to thinking and it made me make some changes at home to correct the situation. 

Maybe some of the readers today recognize themselves in that comment.  Maybe I was hardly alone.  But I didn't want to be "that mother" who was crabby and upset around the people I love the most.

Being genuine sometimes means that we say the thing that someone else doesn't really want to hear.  But it needs to be said.  Last night in the paper's advice column, a teenager wanted to know how she could tell some of her fellow teens that they needed to do something about hygiene.  And the advice columnist told her that she do it in private, away from everyone else, and that she should do it because she cares about these girls and doesn't want them to be shunned and made fun of.  It would be tough to do, but much better than ignoring the situation.  It's kind of gross but when someone slacks off on cleanliness, they get used to their own scent and don't see it as offensive.  And let's face it, look at the ads today -- we are a little hung up on body odor if you ask me.

Sometimes I try to remember to use the 10 year rule.  Is this going to be important in ten years?  Really important?  If not, then it ought to occupy a little less of your time.  In other words, we need to be honest and genuine, and keep everything in perspective.  I always love the story about the kids with chocolate on their faces.  It's easy to get upset about something like that and to rush around getting the wipes out, etc., but truth be told, the child is going to grow out of chocolate on the face soon enough.  Maybe other issues carry more weight.

So tomorrow we'll likely go back to Anna and see what is going on.  Anna has many things to be thankful for.  She has her health.  She has her own place.  She is intelligent.  Most importantly, she has found her way back to God.  She has options, choices, decisions.  She is only 28.  But when you are also 28 and alone without any family near, it is easy to fall victim to the sense of aloneness and let that sense govern thoughts and decisions throughout the day. 

Today, let us rejoice that we have another beautiful day to enjoy, and to remember our blessings too.




No comments: