Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Camel's Hump

Some people refer to Wednesday as "Hump Day" because if you look at the five days of the work week, it's right in the middle of the camel's hump so to speak.  And when Wednesday is over, then you are heading for the last two days of the week and towards the weekend.

I'm going to paint the hall closet and try not to get it all over me.  It's a tight squeeze in there!  In the past my performance in house painting has not been all that good, if I'm being honest.  It just always seemed good form to me to load up the brush pretty well so I don't have to make so many trips.  Thing is, loading the brush too much makes it harder to clean and also results in the dreaded drips.

How is your Lenten journey going?  I hope well.  If you haven't given up anything, there is always time to do something.  It doesn't have to be in sequence or on a certain day, and it doesn't have to be all through Lent either.  It's kind of like Yoda saying, "Do, or do not.  There is no try."

My granddaughter gave up candy and she does a really good job of it.  Even when one of her favorite candies was sitting in front of her on the kitchen counter last week, she only reached for the container so she could use it to weigh down the blanket tent she was making.  (Edge of sit-down counter plus blanket plus weights equals a tent.)  I got a kick out of that.  And when I asked her the first Wednesday of Lent what she wanted for her snack after school, she said, "Anything but candy.  I gave it up for Lent."  Good kid.

We started to watch the Cosmos the other night and quit.  They were talking about dogs and said that man created all of the species of dogs by feeding and caring for the wolves that had the most attractive looks, etc.  I just don't buy it.  The photography was great; the simulations were great, but the substance wasn't -- not for me.

Our quotation today is this:

"And eventually, the choosing becomes easier, the darkness lifts, and walking in Jesus' way is not quite such a struggle for a while. But the darkness will always return, often unexpectedly. That is why I need Lent, because it bears witness to the reality of darkness, of doubt, of fear, of pain. And it carries me through those real places, real experiences into one that is more fully and truly Real: the Reality of Resurrection, of Light, of Life." -Kimberlee Conway Ireton (Author of The Circle of Seasons).

What I read the other day about Lent really stuck with me.  Lent is a beginning of change for us.  After each Lent, we shouldn't be quite the same person.  Maybe we have more patience, maybe we are more kind, maybe we are more generous, maybe more compassionate, maybe more humble.  And these changes, practiced throughout Lent, stay with us.

And so we have the sunrise of another day in which to do the work of the Lord.





No comments: