Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Hummers

I hope you scrolled down to find today's post.  We're talking about hummingbirds.  Hummers are amazing little things.  I'd never seen one until I was about 40.

Then when we moved to these woods, a hummingbird feeder seemed like a good idea.  I've been through a number of them and finally found a system that works and lasts through the seasons.  I'll give you the website at the end.

The hummingbird nest photo above is a little blurry because I tried to get in very close.  I don't think people find them very often.  It was pure luck!!  I kept seeing this female hummingbird fly from the feeder to the maple tree in front of the house.  Over and over again, so fast, so agile.  Since the spare room window faces the maple, I watched and finally one day was rewarded when I saw her sitting on the nest.  It was September already.  The babies were already gone, but she remained, perhaps trying to catch her breath before her daunting flight to warmer climes for the winter.

When she left and hadn't returned to the nest in days, I got a clipper and removed the branch with nest attached.

The nest is made of spider webs.  The outside is covered with small pieces of leaves, set like tiles, and stuck there by presumably her spit.  The inside of the nest is softer than rabbit fur.  It would have held 3-4 pea-size eggs.  Can you imagine? 

If anyone ever has a doubt that there is a God, look to nature.  Watching hummingbirds is an affirmation of the power of our Creator. 

To get a sturdy, easy-to-clean hummingbird feeder, try
http://backyardchirper.com.  I was so happy with the first one, I bought a second.  The base is  like a light bulb base.  The bottles just screw into it.  You can go from eight ounces to probably 32 ounces.

Thank you, Lord, for the hummers!

No comments: