Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Slow Saturday

Maybe it was the pace of the pre-holiday rush, but whatever it is, I'm tired.  Life on a farm always made sense to me.  When the weather is warmer, the farmer works like crazy, first sowing seed, then tending crops, and finally in the last frenzy, harvesting and celebrating another growing season.  When winter comes, the farmer has a chance to move at a slower pace, checking seed catalogs and maintaining some farm equipment. 

And so perhaps I'll just winter.

Years ago when I first heard about the charismatics, I was extremely skeptical.  Whatever did this mean?  As usually happens when something different comes around, the most unusual of the attributes rises to the top.  And so I heard about speaking in tongues.  Sure, I knew that phrase from the Bible, but whatever did that have to do with modern times?

Maybe nine years ago, I went to a Gifted and Called event.  We took assessment tests and met in groups and learned about the gifts (charisms) that God had given us.  Some of these charisms are hospitality, prophecy, knowledge, crafts, and healing.  As we go through this life, it is a really good thing to know what your own gifts are!!  And I learned a lot that day.  When we know what our gifts are, we can pay them forward. 

The Catherine of Sienna Institute has a program like this, and it is available for groups and parishes.  The younger you are when you identify your charisms, the better it is!  If your gift is speaking in tongues, then this simply means that you have a special way of communicating with God.

The word charismatic has as its root the word charism or gift.  The Lord has done great things for us; we are filled with joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Karen. They helped to put some things into perspective for me, especially when I first read them on Saturday. I have been retired for over a year now, and have settled into a variety of activities, but am still wondering if I am using my gifts as I am meant to be doing. I know it is important for me to do this.

Betty