Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Anna's Story - Part 5

Part 5

(Anna Smithson is moving forward after her mother's death and her boyfriend's abrupt departure.  She has grown-up decisions to make.)


Aunt Catherine called.  She wanted to know what Anna was going to do about her mother’s house.  At first, Anna was a little perturbed, but she quelled the resentment and listened to her aunt.  Anna was stubborn and she was well aware of that fault.

 “It is a lovely little house,” Catherine said.  “It needs some updating but it would be such a good investment for you, Anna.  If you change your mind after a while, you could always put it on the market then.  It would be better than throwing good money away on an apartment.”

“I know.  I’ve been thinking about that.  You’re right.  I’ll let Melvin know that I’m going to move to the house.  There’s a lady at work and her husband does really good work, remodeling.  I’ll have him take a look at it and maybe get the work done before I move in.  That way the place would be clean and fresh.  The bathroom needs a makeover, don’t you think?”

 “It sure does.  And also it needs a new color on the walls.  The kitchen should be completely gutted, Anna, truth be told.  Do something more edgy in there, something with stainless steel and granite.  Tile floors maybe?” she continued.  “Get some home type magazines and check them out.  And check online too.  There will be a lot of ideas.  Your mom was sick of everything too, I think, but she just didn’t want to be bothered.”

“Aunt Catherine, since when did you become a designer?” Anna asked.

Her aunt’s laugh bubbled all the way from California to Ohio.  “I get magazines, honestly that’s it.  And I watch those home improvement shows on TV all the time.  Rubs off, I guess.  I didn’t even realize it!”

“You might have missed your calling in life, Catherine,” Anna said.

“And I don’t want you to miss yours,” Catherine answered.

 

No comments: