Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Console

Near my sister's house in Westlake, there is a most unusual consignment store called Chelsea's.  In fact, it is the front and center, featured store in a small shopping plaza.  They sell fantastic used furniture, glassware, lamps, and artwork. 

My sister found it because at the time she was going to Curves right next door.  Although she really didn't buy anything there, she wanted me to see it on one of my visits.  And see it, I have -- many times over.  So far, I've purchased a double bed frame, a dresser, and a mirror and display case.

Chelsea's puts pictures of their items on the website and so I check it out every so often.  The empty spot is in the dining room where "something" would look ever so nice.  It isn't a large area so a typical piece of dining room furniture wouldn't be right at all.  A couple of weeks ago, I spotted what they called a "console" on the website -- a dark piece of furniture with two wide drawers on top and two shelves on the bottom.  Great for baskets to hold sundry items. 

I must have checked it out 10 times before our trip to Westlake yesterday, to be sure it was still there and to be sure it was the perfect piece for that space.  But we didn't rush over there.  We went to Bob Evans first and had a nice meal.  Then we stopped at my nephew's business place nearby, and THEN we went to Chelsea's.  In the first area of display furniture, nothing.  In the second area, nothing, and in the final area where the piece might have been -- nothing.  The clerk verified that the piece had been sold. 

The last couple of days, I'd been a little uneasy about buying this furniture.  It would have been put to good use, and it might have also had another purpose down the road.  Our basement television is about 11 years old and once it goes, we'll have to replace it.  The console was the perfect spot for a flat screen and the underneath storage perfect for DVDs, controllers, etc.  Still, something bothered me.  Finally, as we walked into Chelsea's, I told my sister and husband that if it was meant to be, then it would still be there.  If not, then it wasn't mean to be.  Still, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed, since I've been searching for something for that spot for years.

Well, here's the good news!!  My husband said last night that he would make something for me.  He's just finishing up some storage cabinets for the laundry area and so after that, he'll get some wood and make a console.  And just the right size for a lamp to sit on too!!  He thought it was a bit silly to buy the console, but once he heard my rationale about using it as a TV stand, he changed his mind.  See, one of these days we are going to move to something a little easier to care for.  Something with a little less property and the challenges that go with it. 

We had a great visit yesterday!  I hated for it to end because spending time with my sister is so special.  Thank you, Lord, for everything!! 

And thank you, Lord, for the Community Pregnancy Center!  Remember this place in your prayers.

No comments: