Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Goofy Computers

I don't know about you, but technology stuff keeps creeping into my life whether I seem to choose it or not.

Back in the day when I was working at The Signal in Canal Fulton as the editor, the powers that be dictated that we start using a computer to send our copy to Lisbon, Ohio, the home base for the paper.  So we got computers and went to a half-day of training near West Virginia.  By Friday of that week, I was to have saved all of the stories we wrote onto a disk and drive the disk to Lisbon.  I made it but my neck was in bad shape. 

Somehow from the tension of sitting at the computer and trying to learn everything in the space of a few days, I'd aggravated a nerve in my neck/shoulder area.  It was so bad, I couldn't sleep at night.  I went across the street to the doctor's office (at that time), and told the doctor, "I have computer neck."  He laughed but it turned out that I wasn't going to be the only one by a long shot.

The neck really didn't clear up until I went to work for The University of Akron and they didn't have any.  So my neck got a nice, needed rest before computers started showing up there and by that time I was much more comfortable.

Today I note that my email is in a different format from yesterday.  Why?  I haven't the foggiest idea.  I got an error message today saying that the browser I've used forever isn't supported.  Why?  I haven't the foggiest idea.  Lately, every time I try to write the posting for the day, I get a message saying that I need to log in again.  Why?  I haven't the foggiest idea.  So you get the picture.

We are all captives of technology in some way, aren't we?  My new "digital" camera is yet another device I had to figure out since it can't really work on it's own without eventually hooking to the computer via cable in order to dump the contents.  My GPS unit is the same.  The printer is also hooked to the computer, because we tried going wireless and being that we live down in a hole, the reception just wasn't adequate. 

Remember back in the day when you turned on the computer and it was trying to connect?  That horrible nails on the chalkboard sound that went on, and when it went on too long, you knew that your goose was cooked.

I don't have a smart phone.  Mine is quite smart enough and it makes calls out which is all I care about.  I don't have a laptop.  I don't have a tablet.  I don't have an I-pod or any sort of music apparatus along those lines.  And guess what?  I don't care.  So there technology!!  Go find another sucker out there!!!

Well, have a nice day now.  Sorry to be so late in this posting.  I went to the store right away this morning so I'd be able to drive the car down the hill with the groceries.  That worked out okay, but it's really coming down now and it's sticking from what I can tell.  So I'm parked up top of the hill!!

Take care and be careful, friends.  I'll write again tomorrow, but perhaps we'll just take a break on Thursday so we can all enjoy our family, friends, and faith!!!

No comments: