Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Remembering

Remember that old Western that was popular years ago -- Palladin?  I think that's the name.  The sub-title was, "Have gun, will travel."  He was a bounty collector or some such thing and one of those scary, quiet kinds of people.

Well, for me it is definitely, "Have yarn, will travel."  I really enjoy crocheting, learned it when I was in my 20s but my interest in it sat dormant for a long, long time.  Retirement was a reactivation of sorts.  So today, I need to get my ammo in order to get back on track.  More yarn!!

It's time for a trip to Joanne's, my usual favorite place to shop for crafts.  I'd like to try Hobby Lobby but just haven't made it there yet.  Sometimes I rationalize my trip there because I have good coupons, like 50% off a regularly priced item or how's this?  A 20% off coupon for all purchases!  That's my favorite.  I have one of those today.

Some of the projects I've completed are:  loads of baby blankets, afghans, a shower curtain, placemats, dish cloths, pillows, Christmas ornaments, a mermaid tail and top, winter hats, scarves, and the latest thing I'm working on -- crocheted popcorn puffs.  They are somewhat tedious so I figured I'd make them now and then when it's time next fall, they will become tree garlands along with red wooden beads.  They turn out great from the pictures I saw -- just like cranberries and popcorn!!

How do you know that you've become a full-fledged crafter?  When the clerks at Joanne's know you.  When they start a conversation with you at the fabric cutting station.

Each day that I pick up my crochet hook and start working on a project, I remember how fortunate I am to have this gift.  It reinforces over and over the blessedness of giving. 

So -- if you know how to do something but had to kind of "shelve" it for a while, don't despair.  Just hang in there and life will give you an opportunity to start again at some point.  One thing for sure -- treat your hands with respect.  Make sure that when you are keyboarding, for example, that you use the right ergonomic stance.  Never bend your wrists while you keyboard.  They should be straight.  Also respect your neck.  Never look up at the monitor.  There are some great websites online that will give you the exact proportions for sitting at the computer.

It might sound weird, but years ago after I got a new chair at work, my wrists were starting to bother me.  An early sign of Carpal Tunnel trouble.  They weren't awful, but it was an indication.  So I went online and got the information, turned my chair upside down and adjusted the height of the seat, adjusted the monitor, etc., until it was just right.  Within days the wrist ache was gone. 

So that's it for today.  Time to help my husband get those furniture mover things under the dining room table, because today he is painting the ceiling in the kitchen/dining room.  I'll be home from Joanne's in no time to help some more.

Stay warm!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading your blog!

My tip about sitting at a desk using a computer is to consider prescription "computer glasses". When I was working, I found I had problems with my neck because I was tipping my head back and using my reading bifocal to view the monitor. I had bifocals made up with the distance part of the lens made for focusing on the monitor screen, and this resolved the problem. Of course, I had to make sure I switched back to my regular glasses before driving a car, because the computer glasses did not help my vision for long distances.