Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Appetite

I'm one of those people who has an appetite no matter what.  It is really rare that I'm not thinking about or looking for something to eat. 

When I was working, the afternoon was the hardest because that's when you kind of "hit the wall" in terms of your blood sugar.  As I'd be nodding off in front of the computer screen, the image of the candy machine down in the concourse would come to mind and pretty soon I'd be fishing in my purse or in my desk drawer for some change.

Then I'd get myself a fresh cup of tea and have the candy bar with it.  Lovely!!  And pretty soon I'd get my energy back and finish out the day with a bang.

People under stress often lose their appetite; I don't.  In the absence of being busy doing something, I eat.  It's ridiculous.  And I've got my class reunion to attend, and not meaning to sound vain or anything, I'd like to go just a tad bit slimmer than I am right now.  And more toned, i.e. arms.

This is what happens to perfectly good arms as you age.  First, they kind of get bigger in the biceps region.  Then without any kind of workout, the arm loses tone.  Then the lower part of the arm develops a movement all by itself, a swing.  Make a muscle and the tissue is still there, moving.  Then the next thing that I hesitate to mention because it is so awful -- crepe skin.  It shows up on the inside of the upper arm.  Looks like crepe paper that's damp.  Most probably, it doesn't go away no matter what you do.  I'm going to see.  Call it an experiment, but by September if my crepe skin is still there, then I'll admit it for all.  And then what is there to do but delicately cover it.

My husband is not an exerciser.  He avoid its, and instead focuses on working as a substitute.  It isn't a very satisfying substitute in my book.  I'd love to go walking on a Sunday down to the Lock 4 park and back, but not necessarily by myself.  Maybe my neighbor would consider switching Wednesday morning for Sunday at around noon?  It's worth a try.  Also, my husband has feet problems, due to wearing the incorrect size of shoe for at least a year when he was a child.  He also has back problems, probably related to the feet problems.  And he has ankle and knee problems, and eye problems.  He has some inner problems too, and on that score we are even.

So you can see where this is going or NOT going.  Not going walking, that's for sure.

The other thing about the class reunion is that I'll be attending by myself.  My husband really does not like gatherings of that kind, with noisy bands and people milling, especially people he doesn't really know.  His favorite classmate of mine, Sandy, passed away about four or five years ago.  I don't mind going by myself because then it's just me and I can go here and there, not having to worry how horrible of a time my husband is having.  Oh, and he doesn't dance. 

You know, we really do get along well.  We've been married now for almost 30 years!!  We tend to like the same kinds of entertainment, foods, and movies.  We love the community, the Lions Club members, our church members, and our home.  We especially love our family! 

So you know -- when it is all added up -- it's about love.  That's what they claim makes the world go around, and I'd tend to agree. 

So if you ask me, it's a healthy thing that my husband and I do things together and we also do things separately.  "And the two shall become one," still applies, because being joined at the hip isn't always a good measure of a successful relationship. 

Now -- I got the four pound weights out of the basement and brought them upstairs where I'd be more likely to use them.  I'll start doing sit-ups, push ups, and some other odds and ends, and TRY not to eat everything in sight. 

More importantly, I'll do some regular exercising to get huffing and puffing.  Walking, pulling the garbage can up the hill, that kind of thing.

Appetite -- behave yourself!

No comments: