Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Blame it on Curves

Went to Curves yesterday morning and came home...and that was it apparently.  As far as the blog is concerned anyhow.

I was in a creative bent and spent the time when I should have been writing on learning more about making cards.  There's more to creating a card than one would think.  Usually, I get ideas from the pictures in the Stampin' Up catalog and then go from there, but I'm trying to think of my own ideas. 

So today is Saturday and I'm off to Curves again.  The rule is eight visits per month at the minimum, and that is doable, unless you have terrible weather and the flu like I had in December and early January.  So now it's time to get busy and make up for it.

The women who go to Curves definitely have more energy and are more agile than a lot of women their age.  A new lady came yesterday and Mike, the owner, was teaching her how to use the circuit equipment.  She moved slowly and somewhat tentatively.  I'm going to try and pay attention to how she does if I see her regularly, and enjoy the progress that she makes.  Being agile and having flexibility means fewer energy and fewer falls.  It means having strength to do household tasks with much more ease.  It means staving off the winter blahs and blues that often overtake us at this time of year.

One of my friends, my neighborhood walking buddy, walks all around her house for a period of time each day.  At least she used to until her husband started staying home all day long.  He used to go to a daughter's house and spend the day, but for some reason he quit that regimen.  But she would get her exercise whether or not she went to Curves or somewhere else.  It made her feel better.  And she has some steps at her house that she used for part of her exercising as well. 

Walking is really the more perfect exercise.  It doesn't load up the joints with a lot of pressure, and it is a natural movement.  In fact, I saw an article that said that walking provided just as much benefit as jogging or running.  A brisk walk is an excellent way to get some exercise.  I am excited for the warmer weather so we can get back on the canal pathway.  It's a neat place to find peace and quiet and nature along with your walk.

So that's about it for today.  I'm keeping up with the news on TV but lately I realize that it starts bothering me.  It's not good to bury one's head in the sand, but on the other hand getting addicted to a 24-hour news cycle is not healthy.  I try to keep it to no more than about an hour a day.  That's enough.  Plus, when I log into the computer to start my blog or check emails during the day, the foxnews.com website is my default.  So that also keeps me up on the latest goings-on.

Take care -- have a great Saturday.  Today is the Pinewood Derby races for my grandson, Drew, and his dad.  The car has licks of fire on it and looks pretty tough.  It weights 4.7 ounces, and the limit is 5 ounces so it should move decently well down the track.  It's a great day for a race!!

Karen

No comments: