Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

So -- it's Wednesday

I'm off to a slow start this week.  Yesterday we went to church to clean out the choir loft storage area.  It was a mess with discarded electronics (dated and dusty), wood pieces, and way too much sheet music!  One of our group had already spent more than three hours cleaning out the lateral file cabinet.

It looks a lot better but it would be even better yet with some carpeting and some new shelving, but that would cost money.

Today, we have two funerals, one at 10 and one at 2.  I feel sorry for the families with the weather because going to the gravesites is going to be really cold.  It would just seem to make the death even more somber.  I figured there would be no school again with the cold temperatures, but apparently almost every school in Stark County is in session today.

Did you make up any New Year's resolutions yet?  The Beacon Journal had a back page on the community section all set up for listing resolutions and all sorts of information, apparently to make the one listing feel more accountable.  That's just it.  In most cases the only one who is accountable is the person who makes the list with such examples as losing weight, eating more healthy foods, and quitting smoking.  Involving a spouse in the resolutions can cause problems because pretty soon the list holder is feeling resentment toward the spouse for the reminders and the not-so-subtle encouragements.  An argument is probably not too far behind. 

So let's see ... I didn't do any resolutions yet.  I think I should though, so maybe this Friday at my 2:00 Holy Hour, I will do some thinking about it and let God have a chance to give me some input too.  I'm sure there are many, many things that should be on the list.  However, just as a polite warning that I knew before but also saw an article about -- don't try to tackle too much, too soon.  In other words, you should resolve to do something that you actually have a chance to complete.  It should be articulated and measurable, so that at the end of 2015, you know that this resolution has been completed.  Better that than having three or four difficult resolutions and not even making a dent in any of them.

I could list a few resolution examples for you to make things move along a little faster, if you like.

  1. I resolve to avoid any sports bars where Johnny Manziel is a patron, lest he make a gesture at me and I would feel the need to spill my drink on him and then be ejected.
  2. I resolve not to waste one iota of sweat on whether or not the Cleveland Browns win any games in 2015-16.
Now, as for a couple of REAL resolutions:

  1. I resolve to waste LESS time doing dumb things like playing Solitaire.
  2. I resolve to be more of a glass full kind of person.
Okay, so maybe you've already noticed that the second resolution is hard to measure.  I mean, how can I be sure that my attitude reflects a more positive stance in life?  So that one probably shouldn't make the final cut.

You know, our loved ones would probably be better at giving us ideas for our resolutions.  They know us in a different way than we know ourselves and can be more honest than we often are.  But then, that takes us back to one of the earlier paragraphs, doesn't it?  The one where we might get a little short tempered when hearing something we don't want to hear?  Don't open that door unless you are ready, willing, and able to listen and take their suggestions to heart.

Resolutions are difficult, aren't they?  However, we need to work on improving ourselves, especially in the realm of God.  Are we the best Christian that we can be?  And we all know the answer to that one.

So good luck with your resolutions and I'll talk to you tomorrow. 

Karen



No comments: