Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tweets

The dumb thing called tweeting has come of age, I suppose you could say.  People are just tweeting about everything to everyone.  Thing is, just like every other posting you could create, a tweet lasts forever and is "out there" for all to see.  It's hard to withdraw words on a page.

The impulse to just lash out and write something down is hard to resist apparently, but for safety's sake and all kinds of other considerations, do resist.  Save tweeting, if you must tweet, for the inane things that go back and forth like, "There's a nice sale at Sears."

I don't tweet.  I don't have a twitter account, and at this stage of the game, don't expect to ever request one.  My facebook page is simply like a book marker in my life.  It connects me with people I like and enjoy and reminds me of birthdays to refresh connections with others.  There are no status updates for me on facebook.  It just sits there, full of postings from other people, some of which don't reflect the views of the facebook page holder. 

For me twitter is just a waste of time.  I'd rather empty wastebaskets.

And speaking of work around the house, I made a decision some time ago to recover the dining room chairs.  The fabric from around 13 years ago is still solid, but it just doesn't cut it with the new wall paint and the carpeting that we should be getting this spring.  So we began -- got the first chair and removed the seat.  Easy.  Then we started removing the staples that hold the cloth to the seat.  Oh my goodness.  The chair company from Berlin, Ohio, went the extra mile and probably put about 15 staples per SIDE of the seat.  Plus a couple of extra at the corners.  The staples were put in with an electric or some other type of stapler that is of the commercial variety, not like our handheld model.  So they are really in there and hard to get out. 

We got one chair seat ready for recovering and now have to get down to the basics of how to fold the corners, following the old one as a sample.  I will use something truly useful -- Youtube -- and find a video that might show me what needs to be done.

And so that was two days ago.  First, we needed some Scotch Guard to make sure that the fabric repels stains to a degree.  I did that.  And now the one chair sits without a seat at all.  I hid the seat because foam is attractive to cats and they would likely claw the stuff to pieces.

So the day after the seat was removed, I'm watching the one cat, Sassy, as she moves through the dining room at a pretty good clip.  And she's heading for -- the dining room chair without a seat.  Yep, she went right through.  And then apparently did the same thing again the next day.  Another cat, Gracey, was moving even faster and about halfway through her leap realized that there wasn't anything there.  So far, no humans have made the same mistake.

So maybe today or tomorrow we can get to the job at hand -- finish ONE of the chairs.  Then move to the next.  I thought this was going to be a one-day job, folks.  ONE DAY.

So if you relate to this posting -- and I hope you do -- no need to tweet anyone about it.  We can just keep this to ourselves.

Karen

No comments: