Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

OSU -- Rah, Rah, Rah

Whenever I do one of my retro cheers, my granddaughter looks at me like I am nuts.  Rah-Rah-Ree -- Hit 'em in the knee.  Rah-Rah-Rass -- hit them in the um other knee.  She doesn't get some of the humor in it yet.

Rah-Rah-Rah -- Siss, Boom, Bah.  What on earth was that?  But it's funny and it goes back a LONG way -- to raccoon coats and people dressed to the nines at games and gentility and camaraderie.

OSU had all of that minus the corny cheers last night in their defeat of a formidable Oregon foe.  A Polynesian quarterback from Hawaii playing for Oregon made a valid effort and has nothing to be ashamed of.  OSU's defense simply put on a show, and their offense led by an amazing front four made holes for valiant #15 who took every chance he got to get a yard.

It was a great game, a fun one to watch.  Unlike other games watching the Bucks, I wasn't really nervous for them at all.  It was such an improbable season, losing two great quarterbacks and relying on a third, virtually untested one, they had already beaten the odds to get to the game.  I was glad for them.  The coach says they are a close-knit group and I think that showed.

So hooray for OSU -- hooray for the State of Ohio -- hooray for the end of all of the disputes on who was really the best in college football.  We know who it is and it's US.  I have a theory.  It doesn't matter which college you attended, or even if you attended college.  When OSU plays, we all went there in a sense, all of the brave souls born and raised in Ohio.  O -- H -- I -- O.

And yes, I did make it to Joanne's the other day.  It was a fairly quick trip.  I got some yarn, a picture frame, and an alphabet block printing set.  All good purchases.  I have the frame ready to go, have selected the appropriate art work, and it is ready to be put together and hung on the wall.  It should look nice, kind of fill out an empty space.

Then I made some cards for birthdays and get-wells and it was fun.  Nice colors cheer up a body in the dead of winter.  It makes up for the frozen landscape outside, and the "frozen tundra."  Did you ever wonder what that is?  When you hear those words, "I'm going out into the frozen tundra."  Well, here is your definition.  The arctic tundra is an area with clumps of native grasses and hardy plants growing on it.  It is frozen most of the year.  It crunches when you walk on it.  There are actually three types of tundra, but I think the one they are referring to (as in walking into desolation and frigid conditions) is the arctic tundra.

Lots of missed school; the kids are going nuts.  They are bored and today they got to return to their schedules.  The day for a snow day would have been today, so the kiddos could have watched their state make history.  But that's okay.  I guess they would have been happy to walk for a while in the frozen tundra. 

So have a happy day today -- and let's be glad we live in Ohio.  Want me to list a few reasons why it is good to be a Buckeye?

  • Very few poisonous snakes.
  • Only maybe one poisonous spider.
  • No scorpions.
  • Fewer microscopic creatures that invade the body (like Monsters Inside Us)
  • Less mudslides.
  • Plentiful water supplies.
  • Plentiful rainfall.
  • Good growing soil and season.
  • Vast array of plants and animals.
  • Great colleges and universities (Go Zips)
So that's pretty good if you ask me.  Take it easy.

Karen





No comments: