Light of Christ

Light of Christ

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Saturday for Joanne's

Today I might get to Joanne Fabrics finally.  I have a gift certificate that's been burning a hole in my pocket and I really would enjoy the break.

Yesterday was holy hour and I did make it.  My husband surprises me sometimes because he has a lot of stamina despite the COPD.  I don't know if I could do what he did, and I'm supposed to be reasonably in shape.  The chapel was so quiet and peaceful.  It was just lovely and I got a lot out of it.

Here are a few of the things I gleaned from yesterday's visit:

There was a neat poem about how the cardinal got a red breast.  The legend is that a bird tried to remove one of the thorns from the ugly crown on Jesus' head and as he pulled the thorn out, he was washed with Jesus' blood.  And this is how the cardinal became the red bird that we love so much.  I have watched cardinals for years and I can tell you some interesting things about them.  They mate for life.  They are non-combative birds and usually like feeding off the ground rather than vying for space at the feeder.  The Bluejays dominate them.  They stay together in the trees around the feeder and make a beautiful scene.  They like sunflower seeds.  They are very territorial and that's why we always have a grouping of probably not more than 10 or 12 pairs.

Another little gem I read was from a book that dealt with Reconciliation.  It said that we should welcome the chance to go to Reconciliation, not "have to but we "get" to.  And that this is a special Sacrament and one where we not only encounter the priest, but Christ in the presence of the priest.
The book went on about the nature of sin and how we have so many opportunities to say yes to God, but choose to do otherwise.  So it isn't just willfully disobeying God, doing what we know is wrong.  It is also the many chances we have to live a different kind of life and we don't.  It gave me a better picture of service to God.

So that's about it for today.  I'll head off to Curves and get a work-out in first, then stop at home and get all my coupons, etc., and go to Joanne's.  Then when I get home, I'm going to make some cards for people I know who need a little comforting. 

I hope you have a great Saturday.

Just think -- it could be Alaska.

Karen

No comments: